Should I Make a Claim if I Am the Only Driver Involved in a Wreck?

You should report any wreck to your car insurance provider, even if you are the only driver involved. However, you are not required to make a claim unless you wish to receive benefits to repair or replace your vehicle. If you cause damage to a fixed object in the wreck, such as a wall or a lamp post, the party that owns the damaged structure may make a third party claim to receive compensation for the loss.

According to the Road Traffic Act of 1988, any driver who causes injuries or property damage to another person or vehicle during a collision must stop and provide insurance information to the other parties. If an injury occurred, the wreck must be reported to the police within 4 hours of the occurrence. You may be convicted of a driving offense if you do not follow proper procedures after a wreck in which other people or their property suffered losses.

Single Car Collisions

A single car collision should be reported to your insurance company whether or not you wish to make a claim. Your insurance company may require that you take this step as a condition of your coverage. Making a claim for benefits, however, is not a requirement and you may have to pay in a claim. If your damages were minor and the car is functional, you may decide not to make a claim, especially if you have a high voluntary excess.

If you were injured in the wreck, your car insurance policy may pay out to compensate you for serious injuries such as the loss of a limb or an eye, or other forms of permanent physical disability. In order to obtain this level of protection, you must carry personal accident protection. Personal accident protection pays out for your injures regardless of who was at fault for the accident.

After the wreck, you generally have at least 2 days to notify your insurer of the incident. Contact your insurer using the telephone number in your policy booklet. You will be asked to provide your name and contact details, your insurance policy number, a description of your vehicle and a description of any damages that occurred to your car.

Lenders typically require that you carry comprehensive car insurance if you've purchased your car on a loan. Your lender may have its own requirements for making a claim after a single car wreck. If your automobile has suffered visible damages and you are unsure of your lender's requirements, contact the lender for details.

Making a Claim

If you decide to make a claim after your wreck, you must provide the insurer with the requested details about the incident within at least 2 days after the accident. Your claims representative will then verify your cover to determine that your payments are up to date than that the circumstances of the incident are covered under your policy. Depending upon the extent of your cover, your claims representative may also help you arrange towing from the scene of the wreck and a hire car for you to drive whilst your car is being repaired.

Once you've made a claim and are the only driver involved in an accident, the insurer will process the report, and an inspection of the vehicle will be arranged. If the car can be repaired, you will receive instructions on which mechanics have been approved by your insurance company. You will be required to pay the excess on your policy, if you have not done so already. If you decide not to make a claim, completing the claims process will not be necessary, but you must still report the incident to your insurer.

Find the Best Car Insurance Rates in the UK

Get Quotes

Car Insurance Quotes

Browse By City